The student news site of Analy High School

Tiger Times

Food for The Common Dude: Sweets for Your Sweetheart.

Valentine’s Day is fast approaching. Marketers know how to get you to spend a fortune on generic presents, and many couples feel pressured to buy overpriced chocolates and roses from the store in order to show their love. The truth is, homemade gifts often mean more than some mediocre chocolates wrapped in a shiny red plastic heart. Below are some delicious, affordable, and love-inducing sweet treats for you to make for your lover, your potential lover, or your best friend.

• Chocolate Truffles—Truffles are possibly the simplest desserts to make. They require few ingredients and the end result is delectable. You will need: 8 ounces of dark or bittersweet chocolate (finely chopped), ½ cup heavy cream, and a dash of vanilla. To make the truffles, place the cream into a small saucepan and heat it to a gentle simmer, stirring occasionally. Avoid high heat and rapid boil so that there is no risk of burning the cream. Place the chocolate into a separate bowl and pour the hot cream over the chocolate. Add the vanilla, then stir constantly until the chocolate is smooth and thoroughly incorporated. Let the chocolate mixture cool in the fridge for at least 2 hours. Once the chocolate has cooled and thickened, use a tablespoon to scoop out portions of the mixture, then use your hands to gently and quickly (to avoid melting the chocolate) roll into a ball. Place the truffles on a parchment lined baking sheet and let cool for a few hours, but preferably overnight. The next morning, roll the truffles in cocoa powder, chopped nuts, sprinkles, or anything else your little heart desires. Voila! You have delicious homemade truffles that will win over anybody!
  • Chocolate Dipped Fruit- For a healthier approach to a simple treat, dip dried fruit in white, milk, or dark chocolate. Simply melt the chocolate and use a fork or spoon to cover the fruit in chocolate. Place the fruit on a parchment lined baking sheet to cool in the refrigerator. Whether it’s dried cherries, apricots, mango, apples, or banana, basically anything works well in this recipe. You can also dip nuts in chocolate to create a chocolatey trail mix. You can decorate the treats with colored melting chocolate (simply drizzle it over the top to add color), or sprinkles (heart-shaped are always cute).